What is Phonemic Awareness?
- Awareness of sounds in a language
- Awareness of rhymes
- Awareness that sentences can be broken down into words, syllables, and sounds
- Ability to talk about, reflect upon, and manipulate sounds
- Understanding the relationship between written and spoken language
Phonemic awareness consists of skills that typically develop gradually and sequentially through the late preschool period. They are developed with direct training and exposure.
What are Phonemic Awareness skills?
• Detecting rhyme and alliteration (use of similar consonants)
• Identifying rhymes and words that start/end with the same sounds
• Segmenting words into smaller units, such as syllables and sounds, by counting them
• Blending separated sounds into words
• Understanding that words are made up of sounds represented by symbols or letters
• Manipulating sounds in words by adding, deleting, or substituting